Monday, December 18, 2017

Dear Daniel Craig



Dear Daniel,


There are things I wish people understood. That I wish people knew. Some diseases simply can’t be “prayed away” while I believe in God and have a strong spiritual core I don’t believe that He gave me this disease for a reason. And conversely I don’t believe I’ve been cursed with it either by the Devil.

I believe genetics played a large part in it. Just the same I don’t think my parents are the reason I have this illness either. Sometimes that’s just the luck of the draw.

I do believe, however, that God gave me tools in order to get better. It does not, however, make it easier on me when I am stigmatized by people who don’t ‘get it’. Truth be told it makes it harder. It makes me angry. It makes me want to scream about inclusion and the message of kindness and compassion.

I wrote a faith based script about mental illness and what I believe is the answer. The truth is upsetting to some. That the answer isn’t a magic man in the sky that will simply “pray it away”. Or that meds are a panacea.

The truth is you need both of these things. Prayer, meditation, whatever your spiritual stripes go a long way to supporting meds, therapy and the support of friends and family. And when faced with stigma it can be hard not to have a knee jerk reaction.

I really try not to. Sometimes people don’t understand their actions are stigmatizing, but when shown the light they respond positively to it. I truly believe Letters to Daniel happened because the Universe knew I needed something beyond the storytelling I was doing. Not that it wasn’t fulfilling, but my soul was crying out for more. For a true purpose to my life. And what Letters to Daniel became was my answer to that. A way to reach out to others with this disease.

It can seem unfair when those around us have what feel like cruel reactions. People often shun and fear what they don’t understand. Or have pat answers to complicated situations which only serve to hurt us more.

But I know there a great deal many more people who simply do not understand and all they need is for us to put a face on it, to share our stories with them and they will come to understand I’m sure of it.

For the reasons I have explained many times before, Letters to Daniel and mental health advocacy are my purpose in life. Writing and film are my twin passions. I will be adding a podcast widget to this blogsite. The name of the podcast is Amy Unplugged and my first one is New Year’s Eve at 6PM EST. Please join me and my guests for a raw, real and frank discussion about mental illness and what it takes to survive the holidays!

Sincerely,

Amy Leigh McCorkle

No comments:

Post a Comment