Friday, July 5, 2013

Dear Daniel



Dear Daniel,

I finished book 1 of Bella Morte and am looking for my next project and find myself wanting to produce, create, write an indie soap. I know, some look down on the medium but I think it’s an underappreciated one. Of course, on television it’s almost impossible to break into that line of work. But in a web series it’s wide open. I want to put together a series bible. A damn good one and go to New York for the indie soap awards and pitch it to some possible partners. I know I’m good on the pitch. I’m damn good at it. But getting people to get on board with your dreams isn’t necessarily the easiest job in the world. And balancing that with commitments with my marketing endeavors with my new press and my series I’m working on in the publishing world seems like a lot.

The truth is, I love storytelling, in whatever medium it’s in. And I cut my teeth on soaps. I know, people don’t take you seriously when you work in soaps. But honestly, I write subgenre romance, to my mind I already work in the medium. And there is no shame in it. In fact, I feel like I’ve toiled on some hallowed ground.

I love the idea of a mob soap. Stories of a family that perhaps is falling apart because of the decay from within. But then, what do I know?

I have to sit down with the other half of my Hollywood brain, Missy and come up with the indie soap. I can write books on my own just fine. And even then I consult her.

I wish I could say I had this high minded look at art, but I just want to tell stories. And I suppose to that end, I am an artist. I wish I were more comfortable with that label. But I guess if I don’t respect my place in the world of storytelling no one else will.

Of course I could just write a series straight out of my series I’m writing for my new series. I think I might. But first I have to write the second book in the continuing series.

I am inspired to be sure. Funny that it took this letter to focus my energies to take the courageous step to write the second book in the series. I’m going to pitch it to ICM at Killer Nashville. It would seem I have a great deal of work to do.

I have no idea what the second book will be about. And since the second book belongs to the new house as does the other seven books, I feel like I have some freedom there that I wouldn’t have at a larger house in New York. Of course that doesn’t mean if I wrote longer I wouldn’t give the series a chance there.

The reality is I write anywhere from 25K-40K usually, but to garner that elusive print contract in New York you need 80K and the longest I’ve been able to write is 60K and even that needed some paring down.

Bella Morte casts the proto-type character I usually have for you as father/mentor type as opposed to the romantic lead. I feel kind of silly telling you that, but the heroine is fourteen in this series. I can’t say much more for fear of giving away spoilers of the series. So I’ll stop there. But if you’re interested in reading an excerpt in its very rough form, here it is, https://facebook.com/BellaMorte8. 

The indie soap is still very much on the table, but the idea of Bella Morte as a television series is just to delicious to contemplate. It would take a young actress with considerable acting chops to pull it off.
I’m a huge fan of Revolution on NBC, but Charlie, the daughter needs a little more seasoning. However Billy Burke is wonderful. As is Esposito. Both command the screen whenever they’re on it.
I want my series to sing like LOST did. Well, anyway, I need to get to work on the second book. And the pitch for the series and ICM. It’s not every day that company comes to the southern region of the United States.

Sincerely,

Amy McCorkle


No comments:

Post a Comment