Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dear Daniel



Dear Daniel,

This blog is late. Very late. And maybe on a day like today that’s a good thing. Because I’ve had a moment or two to cool off and think twice about what I was going to write. But let it just be said, DON’T SHIT WHERE YOU EAT MY FRIEND, because once you burn a bridge you can never go back.

Let’s just say today was the best of times it was the worst of times. Let’s just get something off of my chest. Don’t ever tell me how to do something and do it in a patronizing, condescending tone. Don’t call my dream ‘not real’ and imply that my vision is not good enough in your opinion to do the job that I want it to. I know 5 or 6K is probably enough to get it down.

Don’t assume I’m stupid because I’m not following your plan.

People have told me this ‘person’ who’s rubbed me the wrong way was a jerk, an asshat, and myriad of other words. But I always said, I will wait and see how he or she continues to treat me.

In this person’s defense, I think they were trying to ‘help’ me. Instead they left a bad taste in my mouth. They asked if they could ask me a question but I was away from my computer. Honestly I don’t want to know what their question is.

I don’t think my vision for my work (Letters to Daniel) fits their con. I do believe their heart is in the right place however.

Their con, in the past has been very good to me. My first panels. Two publishers found. A breakthrough screenwriting award. A valuable connection in one of their goh’s.

I try to stay positive about them, because you never know about the don’t shit where you eat my friend clause. The bridge you burn today is the one you may need to walk back across tomorrow.

But I’ll be honest there are other cons I want to attend more so. Cons that would treat me better. And treat my work with more respect.

So here is the tentative schedule:

March: Author Fair
April: Nashville Film Festival
          Conglomeration
          Documentary Shoot
May: Various Bookstores for signings
          Documentary Edit
June: Various Bookstores for signings
August: Indie Gathering
September: Imaginarium
October: Austin Film Festival (maybe)
November: Author Fair

Perhaps I will sell well, and win some awards. And the documentary will take flight.

Sincerely,


Amy McCorkle

No comments:

Post a Comment